polka dots

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Paris - Day 4

Day 4 - The Louvre. The largest museum in the world. If you walked through all of its exhibits, you would walk 8 miles! Fortunately, we had a fabulous guide (who had been coming to the Louvre since he was 5 years old!) who took us to see their prized possessions:
Mona Lisa......I don't know why people are so facinated with this picture....how did it become so famous? I don't know. But it was so cool to see her in person - something I've seen in pictures all my life. I never thought I would see her in person. By the way, yes, she does smile at you and her eyes do follow you no matter which way you go. She is a lovely lady and I'm very glad I got to see her.




The Venus de Milo.....created 1000 years before Christ. Good grief - she's in pretty good shape considering her age!



The Louvre was a castle and then a palace before becoming a museum. Here's a model of what it looked like. They actually still have the original stones still set in place in the basement of the museum.

We ended day 4 with a dinner cruise down the River Seine. You couldn't have asked for a more perfect way to end the day. All the sites are even more beautiful at night when lit up. Paris really knows how to put on a show!





No comments:

Post a Comment