polka dots

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A God Story

Wes and I had the opportunity to get away for a few days last week. We had planned on going to Mexico and spend some time at the beach. So, after work on Monday, Wes picked me up and we headed to the airport. As we were checking in, the agent told us that the ramp (or basically the whole airport) had been shut down due to lightning. We had noticed that a storm was coming in and sure enough, it collided over the airport. After 15 minutes, the agent announced that our flight to Mexico had been cancelled as our plane had been diverted to some other location. She asked all the passengers to please come up to the counter and she would book everyone on tomorrow's flight. Since we were flying non-rev, we knew there would be no empty seat for us, so we decided that Mexico was out.

What was kind of interesting was that neither one of us got upset or even disturbed by the whole process. We both really felt that if God had to send a storm to shut down the entire DFW airport so we couldn't get to Mexico, that we didn't want to go....it was quite obvious He didn't want us there.

So, we came home and started a new game plan. First, we asked God to show us where He wanted us to go. After some planning and searching, we decided on San Antonio and Fredericksburg. Our trip to Mexico became a road trip to South Texas.

I love San Antonio as I grew up there and we had two tours there while we were in the Air Force. Brendon was also born in SA, so we have many, many great memories of that city. We got up the next morning and headed out on our adventure. Enjoyed our trip on Hwy 281 - ate at the Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls - which by the way, has the best pie anywhere! Then pulled in to San Antonio in the early afternoon. That evening was filled with eating at the Alamo Cafe (MOST AWESOME MEXICAN FOOD!) and shopping at one of my old stomping grounds - North Star Mall.

The next morning, we drove around checking out all our "old" houses, sending pictures to the boys and reminiscing with them over the phones. We had lunch and then headed to the movies. About half way through the movie, I got deathly sick.....I mean sick. Shivers, shaking, so cold I thought I was going to freeze to death and finally I looked at Wes and told him I had to leave. After leaving my lunch at a trash can by the Seven-11, we went back to the hotel. I was so weak, I couldn't hardly stand up to walk. I can't tell you how thankful I was to get into bed.

That night we discussed whether we should head home instead of going to Fredericksburg. We decided we would see how I felt in the morning and would decide from there. I woke up feeling much better, but still very weak. We decided to head to Fredericksburg. I am so glad we did. If we hadn't gone, we would have missed the miracle.

We headed to a cabin in Fredericksburg that we had rented in July of 2009. Wes reminded me that it was at the place where I had lost my favorite necklace. I had totally forgotten about this. I loved that necklace.....Wes had given it to me for Christmas and it was just special to me. It had been misplaced at this cabin....we had searched and searched that cabin, my car, my luggage, everywhere and couldn't find it. We'd let the owners know and told them to please call us if they found it. We never heard anything....I figured it was gone. It was just a earthly possession, but still it couldn't be replaced.

As soon as we got in the cabin, Wes sat down and called the lady who cleans the cabins. Her told her the story, said he knew it was a long shot, but did she happen to find the necklace. These are her words, "Sir, this is your lucky day. I have your necklace." Are you kidding me? After a year....she had my necklace? She told us that she always goes through the bags of her vacuum cleaner because she finds all kinds of jewelry and things that people had left behind. Usually, the booking firm would call her and tell her someone left this behind - did you find it? She had kept my necklace for 1 year waiting for someone to call and claim it! The next day, my necklace was back around my neck.

I can't tell you how much I felt the Lord's love during all of this. He was willing to show me how much He loves me by sending a storm to keep us from Mexico, urging us on to Fredericksburg even though I wasn't feeling great, just to give me a necklace that He knew was important to me. It's not worth a lot monetarily speaking.....but it is priceless. Because now when I look at it I not only see Wes' love for me, but my Father's love. Yep, that's priceless.


I love God's surprises. They are the best!

2 comments:

  1. I am crying! That is so special! I love the necklace and yes, it will means so much more now!! Bet you couldn't stop smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!!!! That is such an amazing story!!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to share this.

    Love,
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete