polka dots

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Good-byes

Good-byes can be strange things.  Sometimes we are very saddened by them...sometimes we have mixed feelings about them...and there are other times when they can be a happy occasion.  I had the chance to experience all of these feelings a couple of weeks ago.

On Friday, May 18th, my twin chocolate grandbabies went back to their biological mother.  My son and daughter-in-law had been fostering them since January 2011....so to say the least, they had my heart wrapped tightly around their little fingers.  They were a joy and my heart would burst with love and happiness when I would hear them squeal out for their "JuJu".  I have missed them so.  I am so very proud of my kids who have given them everything they could over these past 16 months.  They loved these babies as their own and spent many hours in doctors' offices and therapists' offices to help these little ones get their bodies back on track.  My heart goes out to them as they had to give "their children" back....not knowing what the future held for them.

On Saturday, May 19th, I said good-bye to my dad.  He left this earth 4 days before his 85th birthday.  He had been living in our home since last December.  We knew he was having some medical issues, but we found out in March that he had lung cancer that had mastesized in his brain.  A month and a half later, he was gone.

But these two good-byes were very different and very much the same.  I was ready for Dad to go home.  He was ready to go home.  It was very joyous in my home when Dad left his earthly body.  We knew he was standing face to face with Jesus and that he didn't have to deal with his ol' body that just didn't want to work anymore.  Of course we would miss him, but what a comfort to know God was taking every step with Dad and that they had an eternity together!

I wasn't ready for the babies to go.  I wanted them to stay...to be a part of my family....permenantly.  I didn't understand why they had to leave.  I didn't want to tell them good-bye.

But God was so very gracious.  On Monday, May 14th, I heard Him speaking to me very clearly.  He told me I was entering a week of "good-byes".  I knew what that meant.  I knew I would not only be telling Dad good-bye, but also my little chocolates.  But He just didn't stop there....He told me to trust Him and that He understood how I felt and that He really did have everything under control.  If I would rest in that, I could walk through a hard week with peace and joy.  And He was right......it was a week of peace and joy.

I wish I could say that the babies are back with us....that we are in the process of becoming their legal grandparents.  No, that's not the case.  It may happen one day....but then again, it may not.  But I can rest in this, that God loves those little ones much more than I could ever possibly love them.  He has big plans for them - and it may include me or it may not.  And if I just keep resting in that, I can walk through some pretty tough stuff with peace and joy.

Different types of good-byes - but one Heavenly Father who has it all under control.  Which means I can sit today with peace and joy.  Yeah, I'm good with that.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this from your heart. It's so true that if we lean into him in everything even the hard stuff can become something beautiful. He is so good!

    ReplyDelete