polka dots

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Lion King

We had the opportunity to see two Broadway plays while in New York.  The Lion King holds a special place in my heart for several reasons.  First of all, it is the first show we ever saw on Broadway.  It was also the first show where we took our boys.  The Lion King was always one of the boys favorite movies growing up - we knew all the music by heart.  So, to see it played out on the stage was fascinating to us.  Second, two of the languages that they speak are Zulu and Ndebele, which are the languages that Wes grew up around while living in Africa.   Hearing those words again bring back such great memories for him. Third, just watching the special effects of this play will just blow you away.  You just keep asking yourself, "How do they do that?  How did they come up with that?" The creativity involved is spectacular.  And last, there are so many spiritual truths in it, that I've never gone and not have God talk to me.  So, I wanted to share all of these experiences with Ashlynn.  It was so fun watching her as she took in the life sized animals coming down the aisle and seeing her little feet dance and tap to the beat of all the songs.  

Here is the website to see the trailer to The Lion King:  http://www.lionking.com/about  When Rafiki comes and calls out to the other animals, a chill runs up and down my arms.  She is calling out that the new king has been born and to come see and worship.  Is that how the angels felt the night Jesus was born?  Knowing that the Savior had come to earth - what a experience for the angels and the shepherds.  Also, when the animals get up on stage, they start yelling in Zulu, "Thank you, Father God" over and over.  When all this started on stage, I just started to cry.  I could not believe that God had allowed me to bring my little girl to see this.  It was a dream come true. 

We sat through the show in awe.  Just unbelievable fun.  I will never forget it.  I hope Ashlynn doesn't either.



Rafiki.....she is my favorite.

 The animals are incredible.  You see the actors and yet you don't.  Creativity at it's finest.

Celebrating the new king.

Puumba and Timon - great comic relief.  Again, the actors are right there and yet, it's the animals you see.


No comments:

Post a Comment