polka dots

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Parrot Mountain and Gardens

One of the most fun things Wes and I have ever had the opportunity to do is to go to Parrot Mountain and Gardens. A really neat Christian couple own the bird sanctuary (which is on top of a very high mountain!).  They just want to share with folks God's beautiful creation of the Smokeys and provide a place for abused and neglected birds.  They also are working to reintroduce extinct birds back into their original habitat.  We could have spent hours and hours there as the staff was most gracious and you were allowed to pet, hold, and feed birds to your heart's content.

 I love Cockatoos.  They are my most favorite of all the birds.  There were many here that I could play with!

 Very smart.....very gentle.....I was in love!

 This guy loved Wes.  He crawled all over his shoulders and then found the button on the top of his cap.  He didn't give up until he had the button......chewed on it awhile, and then spit it out.

 This was the prettiest and most gentle parrot.  Just wanted to be with you.  Quite content to just to hang.

 I would have paid almost any amount of money if they would have let me take this little guy home.  He is a rose crested cockatoo and I really wanted to make him part of our family.  Unfortunately, he wasn't for sell!

 Lowrys.  Walk into their cage and they know you have nectar for them.  We had them all over us!

 Some kind of South American Lowry.  I saw so many different kind of birds that I just couldn't keep up with all the names!

This is my favorite.  I was feeding two cockatoos sunflower seeds.  But as you can see, the McCaw didn't like being left out.  He had grabbed ahold (very gently) of my shirt and kept pulling me towards him!


If you are ever in the Pigeon Forge area, you need to visit this place.  It is amazing what the owners have done with it and how important it is to them to show off God's creations - whether it be the birds or the scenery!

No comments:

Post a Comment